September 29, 2012

Broccoli Salad



Back in the ‘90s it seemed as though everyone was making broccoli salad. It was at the potlucks, picnics, even family events and I think that’s why I have always refused to make it. My older sister used to make it quite a bit, but given that I live far away I didn’t overindulge in it. Another reason I’ve always put off making one is because my stepmother had me make it one Christmas and she was so picky – I couldn’t cut all those pieces small enough – that I have actually refused to make one since. It turned me right off. Fast forward 10+ years and I actually thought about making one. I’m not sure exactly why, but it seems like a great way to take advantage of the great fresh broccoli at the markets. Plus I actually love broccoli (Yes, The Honey thinks I’m nuts).

The searching wasn’t that easy and after some digging I found a decent recipe on Kraft Canada’s website. While it is quite a simple recipe, it had been so long that I had no idea what went in it; broccoli of course, and I think sunflower seeds. But that was it. Kraft’s recipe seemed like it checked all the boxes and also seemed flexible enough that I could adjust it.


The verdict: It was a nice salad and made a nice quasi-healthy lunch for most of the week. I cut the dressing in half, added more raisins, sunflower seeds and bacon. If you’re not fond of this dressing, a good ranch dressing may add a bit more zip too. Below is the original recipe, so tweak away if you like.

Kraft’s Favourite Broccoli Salad
1/2 cup Miracle Whip Original Spread
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
12 cups broccoli florets
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sunflower kernels
5 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
Mix Miracle Whip, sugar and vinegar. Combine broccoli, onions, raisins and sunflower kernels in large bowl. Add Miracle Whip mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate several hours. Sprinkle with bacon before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment